Monday, October 25, 2004

No, I'm NOT Paranoid

I wondered why Canadians are so anti-American. At times I even wondered if I was overreacting or taking it too personally. Not anymore. This past Saturday, The National Post ran two stories about how anti-American Canadians are. One on the front page, was written by Diane Francis, a respected journalist. She talked about the increase of blatant anti-American sentiment and why Canadians like to define themselves by it.

I never knew that when the United States fought for independence from England 20% of the people in the original 13 colonies left for Canada because they were against independence. Thanks to Ms. Francis, I'm aware of that now. It doesn't help me feel better, but it does explain a few things. Many of the original Canadians were Americans!

A second article in the same paper (inside in the first section) also talked about the anti-American attitudes that Canadians are now so proud to display. No longer pretending to be friends of Americans, they seem to want to make it clear that they hate us.

I was particularly saddened to read that I wasn't the only one here to have a Canadian tell me that September 11, 2001 was our own fault - Diane Francis experienced it too. Do I feel better? No. But I feel vindicated. My anti-Canadian feelings are justified. Maybe they're self defense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home