Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Money Down the Drain

At first I thought it was a coincidence that I feel great when I'm back home in the U.S.A. and feel rotten when I'm in Canada. Then I realized it's really happening. Being somewhere you hate can make you sick. So many things bother me here that I don't sleep well, so when I say I'm sick and tired of Canada, you can believe it.

I know I haven't posted in quite some time, but I haven't stopped hating it here and things haven't changed much with the new guy. Paul Martin is just as dirty as Chretien and is carrying over the scandals and problems. Relations with the U.S. aren't any better and seem to be getting even more petty if that's possible.

Have you heard that Canada projected a $1.9 BILLION surplus but it turned out to be about $9 BILLION instead? Is the money going to health care to cut down the outrageous and sometimes deadly waits? To cover the things they DELISTED recently, such as PSA tests? Eye exams? Audiologists? Or maybe to the education system which is suffering and sadly lacking? Nope. They can't do that. They have to use a surplus to pay down the debt. Paying down the debt may not be the worst idea. I will concede that debt is a bad thing. But to have that much of a surplus and not use it to better the lives of the taxpayers they've obviously overtaxed seems obscene. A $1.9 billion surplus seems quite substantial on its own, but doesn't $9 billion tell us something?

Why are Canadians not crying out in protest? Why do they still vote for the party who refuses to lower taxes? The party who refuses to be accountable? Because Canadians would rather be walked on and taken advantage of before they would do anything that resembles the American way. Living in fear and resentment and most of all jealousy of the United States is the Canadian way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home